The City of Gonzales is seeking a dynamic individual to serve in a critical role in the day to day operations of a progressive city with over $20 million in annual revenues.
The City of Gonzales pursues the efficient operation of all aspects of municipal government within its purview in order to provide a high quality of life to its citizens and foster a business-friendly atmosphere in which commerce can thrive.
The City of Gonzales provides an array of vital services ranging from police and fire protection to streets and drainage operations. The city operates permits, licensing, and enforcement functions, along with a fully independent utility operation offering water, wastewater, and natural gas services. The city maintains renowned recreation facilities along with many other buildings and critical infrastructure.
The City Clerk acts as the Chief Administrative Officer in support of carrying out the direction of the city as set forth by the Mayor and City Council. This position is appointed by the Mayor and ratified by the City Council.
- Management: This position serves as the Chief Administrative Officer and has ultimate responsibility for the administrative function of the city. This includes finance, utility billing, permits, licensing and human resources. Immediate subordinates include the Central Services Director, Finance Director, and Human Resource Director.
- Budget: Works with the Mayor in setting priorities for the city and formulating budgets. Keeps lines of communication open with Councilmembers and department heads to ensure all inputs are captured. Prepares various regular and special reports, including monthly reports to the Mayor and City Council. Ensures compliance with all state budget laws.
- Functions as the City Clerk: Attends all City Council meetings and has ultimate responsibility to ensure that all proceedings of the City Council and other boards and commissions of the city operate within state guidelines and in compliance with the Lawrason Act, including properly issuing agendas, recording all proceedings and ensuring correct publication of same; ensuring new ordinances meet required formats, codification, and publication standards.
- Acts as the liaison to the City Council: Maintains an open line of communication with City Councilmembers, keeping them abreast of on-going city operations and important issues. Calls sub-committee meetings when necessary and documents the results. Ensures that appropriate sub-committee material is properly presented to the full City Council.
- Acts as the Planning & Zoning Administrator: Reviews all request for planning and zoning actions and provides related data and recommendations to the Planning and Zoning Commissioners. Attends all Planning and Zoning meetings and records the minutes of same. Provides the Planning & Zoning Commissioners with all relevant documents in relation to upcoming agenda items. Responsible for all public hearing letters of notification, publications, and signage related to zoning changes in accordance with city ordinances and relevant state statutes. Responds to and investigates complaints of ordinance and zoning violations and prepares violation letters and notices.
- Contracts and Grants Administration: Responsible for all contracts and grants administration and record-keeping. Works with contractors to ensure compliance with stipulated contract provisions. Ensures compliance with all public bid laws.
- Economic Development: Meets with developers of potential commercial and residential projects, providing advice on compliance with relevant city development codes, zoning guidance and prevailing tax laws.
- Policies and Procedures: Periodically reviews city policies and procedures for efficiency and effectiveness. Offers recommended changes or additions when necessary.
- Audit Responsibilities: Works with the Finance Director and City Auditors in effecting an accurate and complete audit of the City’s financial position at the end of the year.
- Preserves all records and documents pertaining to the business of the municipality as required by law. Maintains the City Seal.
- Maintains records of city assets.
- Maintains all insurance policy requirements for the City in regards to General Liability, Auto Comp, Collision and Liability, Worker’s Compensation, Property Coverage and Recreation Sports Policies.
- Maintains official files for all city grants.
Advanced Degree and Certifications Preferred
Desired Job Experience
A minimum of ten years of progressive professional work experience, preferably in the area of public administration or a related field.
Starting Salary Range
$80,000 – $91,500
Please submit resume to:
Mayor Barney Arceneaux
City of Gonzales
120 S. Irma Blvd.
Gonzales, LA 70737